Lead Laboratory Assistant
Hoffman Estates, IL, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Everly Health's mission is to transform lives with modern, diagnostics-driven care, and we believe that the future of healthcare is meeting people where they are. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Everly Health is the parent company to Everlywell, Everly Health Solutions, Natalist, and Everly Diagnostics. We've set a new standard of people-focused, diagnostic-driven care that puts patients at the center of their own health journey.
Our infrastructure guides the full testing experience with the support of a national clinician network that's composed of hundreds of physicians, nurses, genetic counselors, PharmDs, and member care specialists. Our solutions make world-class virtual care more attainable with rigorous clinical protocols and best-in-class science to tackle some of the healthcare industry's biggest problems.
Lead Lab Assistant covers a range of duties within the laboratory facility and shows competency in all responsibilities for processes which occurs prior to the testing process, such as receiving, identification, data entry, and preservation of samples. Personnel provide general support functions within the pre-analytic and analytic laboratory departments such as clerical and laboratory assistant duties to support overall operation of the lab. The Lead Lab Assistant provides additional support to the Lab Assistants; is responsible for all initial training and competencies, or the delegation of such duties; and functions within the Pre-Analytic Laboratory departments, such as clerical and Lab Assistant duties to support overall operation of the laboratory.
The Lead Lab Assistant must be skilled and adept at performing the following duties as checked below within 90 days of hire to meet quality and production scheduled as a requirement for the position.
- Develop an understanding of how Pre-Analytic functions impact the workflow and result quality of the analytic department.
- Understand technical and non-technical procedures and specimen requirements necessary to complete data entry;
- Data entry including organizing of patient requisitions, accessioning samples into the laboratory information system and double-checking work for accuracy;
- Receive specimens, verify types and quantity, accession, sort, process, deliver and store specimens by department or rack as instructed by supervisor;
- Understand technical and non-technical procedures required to process and forward accessioned specimens to the designated laboratory location for testing;
- Monitor and process incoming specimens from all sources (e.g. USPS); identify issues (e.g. incorrect specimen types, missing information) and resolve or forward information in support of timely problem resolution; and
- Verify and enter patient information, collection and received time/date information. Ensure tests ordered are correct as per kit request.
- Lead the Problem Resolution team and be a direct link between the laboratory and lab support to solve/diagnose sample issues.
- Learn and demonstrate ability to follow all established and new policies, procedures and protocols pertaining to job duties and assignments.
- Understand and adhere to compliance policies related to test orders.
- Develop ability to research test order information on translation tables, computer systems, and the directory of services.
- Process sample holds; separate and properly code all non-testable specimens.
- Monitor sample holds and look for trends in issues related to sample types or tests
- Escalate unresolved or special case scenarios to management and Lab support.
- Perform daily temperature checks, store supplies/reagents as directed by supervisors.
- Complete all required written documentation such that it is understandable to others, legible and within the assigned time frame;
- Observe safety and blood-borne pathogen precautions maintaining proper handling of bodily fluids including blood, urine, feces, etc. at all times;
- Write/Review SOP’s and Training Checklists
- Train and educate new employees on protocols and policies;
- Participates in continuing education activities; and
- Perform inventory checks and complete receipt of supplies in the receiving area, initial and date boxes upon opening.
- Inspect, order, and stock supply/reagent inventory as directed by supervisors; and
- Reconcile invoices from vendors, as needed.
- Learn and demonstrate ability to follow all established and new policies, procedures, and protocols pertaining to job duties and assignments.
- Adhere to standard laboratory safety and quality policies as directed and written in departmental manuals including but not limited to adhere to engineering controls and personal protective equipment; and
- Communicate and appropriately escalate laboratory issues to the Laboratory Manager/General Supervisor to ensure all are addressed in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Leads lab assistants within daily operations;
- Provide 360 feedback on employees
- Enforce attendance policies with employees
- Establish rotating departmental schedule;
- First line of direct communication by staff to the Technical Supervisor(s), or other management; and
- Ensure all standard operating procedures are followed by staff.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty competently;
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required;
- Ability to manage a multitude of tasks at any one given time.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- High ability to communicate in English, written and verbally, within all levels of the organization;
- Highly self-motivated with excellent interpersonal skills; and
- Communicates well with supervisor, management, and co-workers.
- Basic math skills; Ability to create and work with statistical data
- Moderate to advanced skill level in Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, etc.) and Adobe Acrobat;
- Ability to perform, create, and interpret statistical data for validations, correlations, etc.; and
- Ability to quickly learn proprietary software programs (e.g. LIS, MediaLab, etc.).